Skip to content

Support for adults

Adapting your home

If you think that you or someone you care for may need adaptations to help make living at home easier contact Care Direct on 0345 1551 007 or email to speak to us about having a social care needs assessment.

We can help with:

  • Minor adaptations – these include ramps, rails and other small works that may be recommended following your assessment. If you are eligible, minor adaptations can be arranged for you free of charge.
  • Major adaptations – these could include a stair lift, wide doorway, adapting bathrooms or kitchens. The work may be funded through a Disabled Facilities Grant administered through your local district council, or provided on the recommendation of an occupational therapist (OT).

Independent Living Centre

The Independent Living Centre offers a free and impartial assessment and information service to anyone looking for equipment to help them to live independently.

They don’t sell equipment but can work with you to look at your needs and find the best solutions. If you identify equipment that meets your needs they will talk to you about getting it through statutory services, or buying it yourself locally or online.

VAT exemption

If you are registered as disabled, you will be exempt from paying VAT on works done to adapt your home or equipment purchased specifically to meet your disability needs. More information is available from GOV.UK.

Find services, groups and clubs in Devon on the Pinpoint website

Go to Pinpoint

Find advice on how to stay healthy and well on the OneSmallStep website

Go to OneSmallStep