Skip to content

Support for adults

Community Equipment Prescriptions

Community equipment or Simple Aids to Daily Living (SADLs) refers to smaller pieces of equipment such as walking frames, trolleys, perching stools and raised toilet seats which help millions of people to remain independent.

For these items we have introduced prescriptions to give you more control and choice over the equipment you have – you choose what you want and where to get it. The process is simple, quick and free, and you can get independent help and information if you need it.

How it works

  1. We assess your need for equipment and advise you on the equipment available.
  2. We will explain what equipment will help you and write a prescription for it. The prescription lists the items that you can have and covers the cost for them.
  3. You find a local accredited supplier – a Trusted Provider – and check they have the equipment you want in stock. When you exchange your prescription, you can choose whether you want something with additional features or a different colour or brand, and then pay any difference. You will be shown how to use the equipment and given any necessary instructions for setting up and adjusting the equipment at home. A relative, carer or friend can collect items for you.
  4. The equipment is now yours!

You can exchange your prescription at any accredited shop in Devon. You’ll get a list of these shops when you’ll get a prescription or you can use Pinpoint Devon to search for shops in your area. You can also ask for paper copies from Care Direct on 0345 1551 007.

Delivery and fitting

If you can’t get to a shop, the assessor will include delivery of the equipment on your prescription. You will then need to contact the shop of your choice by phone or email, tell them what you have been prescribed and make arrangements for delivery.

If delivery isn’t included on your prescription you can still ask for the shop to deliver, but you’ll probably have to pay a delivery charge.

What if the item doesn’t meet my needs?

Contact the person who gave you the prescription or phone Care Direct on 0345 1551 007 for guidance.

Why can I only use an accredited shop?

National standards have been set to ensure that all shops provide a consistent and competent level of service.

The factors taken into account include:

  • training of staff including equipment-based training
  • accessible premises with equipment on display
  • ability to offer advice and help with decision-making.

What if the item is faulty?

The Sale of Goods Act applies in the normal way. Any faulty equipment less than a year old should be returned to the retailer under warranty. If the item is out of warranty phone Care Direct on 0345 1551 007 and ask for a replacement item. In most cases, you will be sent a new equipment prescription.

What if my needs change?

Contact the person who gave you the prescription or phone Care Direct on 0345 1551 007.

What if I have a complaint about a retailer?

Contact the retailer immediately and explain your concerns. If you are still unhappy contact our Social Care Customer Relations Team.

Find services, groups and clubs in Devon on the Pinpoint website

Go to Pinpoint

Find advice on how to stay healthy and well on the OneSmallStep website

Go to OneSmallStep