Why is it important?
Reliable access to broadband is an integral part of 21st Century living. It’s much more than streaming video and music or online shopping: it’s increasingly the way business is conducted and services are delivered. Companies with slow access to the internet are seriously disadvantaged in the modern world of commerce.
For us, faster broadband will:
- Be the 21st century infrastructure that enables our businesses to compete on a level footing regardless of location
- Make Devon and Somerset a more attractive proposition for business re-locations and start-ups – including the creation of new, high-tech jobs
- Enable the transformation of public services through initiatives such as: telehealth, improving patient care in their homes; community safety through greater and more efficient use of CCTV
- Enable improved business efficiency and flexibility, for example through speedier communication, better access to new markets and greater homeworking
- Facilitate improved skills levels through access to online learning
- Tackle digital exclusion, ensuring rural communities have the same access to services as urban communities