The Rural Connection Project
What’s it about?
The Rural Connection programme is a pilot project running alongside the main Connecting Devon and Somerset programme aiming to bring a new generation of fast satellite broadband to over 1,000 homes and businesses in specific remote parts of Devon and Somerset.
The new (Ka band) satellite broadband has the ability to offer speeds of 2-18 Mbps whilst providing a range of consumer packages. Not only are connections to this service available for businesses and residents for free in qualifying areas, support to ensure businesses and communities in those areas can make the best use of better connectivity is also available.
Eligible areas for this project have been tightly defined to:
- Meet the original South West RDA funding requirements
- Deliver to specific postcodes receiving less than 2 Mbps as identified using an industry dataset of fixed line speeds
- Limited to Devon/Somerset border as defined by the State Aid Notification to the EC
- Ensure that demand does not outstrip supply
What’s on offer?
This pilot project offers a faster satellite broadband service now, and as well as IT help, training and support; grant assistance is also available in eligible areas for businesses and private households to cover the costs of satellite broadband receiving equipment and installation.
This is a time-limited initiative which operates on a first-come, first-served basis and the choice and cost of tariff rests with the user. The satellite broadband service is being delivered by Tooway Direct on behalf of Devon and Somerset County Councils and the free support and skills for businesses and residents in the eligible areas is being delivered by our delivery partner Cosmic.
What are the benefits?
- Faster broadband is achievable now (satellite technology offering more than 50 times faster than dial-up and comparable to ADSL broadband speeds)
- Installed and working in your home or office in 7 days
- Allows your kids to do homework
- Allows your family to shop online
- Allows you to access to all types of online services and information
- Allows you to work from home and cut down travel costs
For small businesses and micro enterprises:
- Allows faster broadband access from your business or home office
- Provides a reliable (back-up) service if you need it
- Provides an affordable alternative to fixed line broadband
- Free training & support to help your business make the most of IT
- No physical limitation on where the Service is available
- Free setup and equipment and IT support. Visit the postcode checker to qualify
To confirm eligibility and to order free satellite broadband equipment call 0844874 0602, or visit Tooway Direct.