Devon Education Forum
Schools Forums are governed by the Schools Forums (England) Regulations 2012 (effective from 1 October 2012).
The Forum has a consultative and advisory role in school funding and financial matters. It will not hold a budget, and Regulations do not allow it a decision-making role. However, the Forum must be consulted and agree if the proposed percentage increase to the centrally managed share of the Designated Schools Grant (DSG) is greater than the overall DSG settlement. If the Forum does not agree, the Authority can appeal to the DfE.
Therefore a duty is laid on the Local Authority to consult the Forum about any proposed change to the school funding formula, about the financial effect of such a change and, annually, about the following matters relating to the schools budget:
- Pupils with Special Education Needs.
- Pupil Referral Units and “Education Otherwise”.
- Early years education.
- Any prospective revision to the funding scheme.
- Arrangements for paying Central Government grant to schools.
- The LA may also consult the Schools Forum about any other matter relating to the funding of schools.
Non statutory responsibilities The County Council has agreed that the Forum will be consulted on all educational issues that affect young people aged 0 – 19.
The Forum agreed to restructure its standing groups in July 2012 and now comprise:
For links to membership, constitution and dates, minutes and agendas of DEF meetings, visit the DEF website