Skip to content

Education Health and Care Plans (EHCP)

Most children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) will not need an education, health and care plan (EHCP) and can have their needs met by the SEN provision in their school, college or education setting.

However, some young people who have long term or more complex needs and/or disabilities, may need further support provided by us. If your child isn’t making good progress with the SEN support provided by their education setting, then you may need to request an education, health and care (EHC) Needs Assessment to see whether an EHCP is the next step.

An EHCP sets out a child or young person’s education, health and care needs and the extra support required to meet them.

An EHC Needs Assessment helps gather all the information required to decide whether an EHCP is required or not. It is a joint assessment from professionals who are, or may need to be, involved to provide advice about specific provision to meet your child’s needs. It also takes into account the your views and the views of your child or young person.

The video below provides a useful summary of EHCPs.

This section of the website has lots of information about EHCPs and EHC Needs Assessments. It will talk you through the different stages of requesting an EHC Needs Assessment and what will happen after you have made a request. It also provides information about how EHCPs are reviewed and re-assessed.

Find out more on the pages below.

Contact the SEN 0-25

Devon’s SEN 0-25 team carries out EHC Needs Assessments and maintains and reviews all EHCPs. They also co-ordinate the writing of EHCPs using information gathered from education, health and care professionals.

If you have further questions, or can’t find what you’re looking for on the pages above, you can contact the SEN 0-25 team by calling 01392 380434. Phone lines will be open: Monday to Friday: 10am to 12pm and 2pm to 4pm.

You can also email the SEN 0-25 team at

More information