Most children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) will not need an EHCP and can have their needs met by the SEN provision in their school, college or education setting. For more information on support at different ages please visit our webpages for early years (ages 0-5)children and young people (ages 5-18) and preparing for adult life (ages 14-25).

We also have information on additional activities and support for families, which includes support groups, short breaks for respite, childcare and wraparound care, and how to find suitable activities for your family in Devon.

Some young people who have long-term or more complex needs and/or disabilities may need further support provided by us. If your child isn’t making good progress with the SEN support provided by their education setting, then you may need to request an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment to see whether an EHCP is the next step.

The video below provides a useful summary of EHCPs.


Contact the SEN 0-25 Team

Devon’s SEN 0-25 team carries out EHC Needs Assessments and maintains and reviews all EHCPs. They also co-ordinate the writing of EHCPs using information gathered from education, health and care professionals.

If you have further questions, or can’t find what you’re looking for on the pages above, you can contact the SEN 0-25 team by calling 01392 380434. Phone lines will be open: Monday to Friday: 10am to 12pm and 2pm to 4pm.

You can also email the SEN 0-25 team at

More information