Devon’s Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Local Offer

What happens after a request is made

After a request is made, we normally have six weeks to decide whether or not to carry out an EHC Needs Assessment.

If we agree to carry out an EHC Needs Assessment, we will gather evidence and information from the people who work closely with your child. We will also ask for your views and the views of your child.

If the EHC Needs Assessment results in an EHCP then this will be produced within 16 weeks of the initial request. To create the plan, professionals from education, health and care will work together, with the parents and/or carers as well as the child or young person, to consider what outcomes are desired and what is needed to achieve them.

A draft copy of the plan will be sent to you to check and suggest changes. The school or setting named on the EHCP will also be informed and you will both have 15 days in which to request any changes.

The whole process from the EHC Needs Assessment request to the agreement of an EHCP should take no more than 20 weeks. You can visit our page about support groups and networks for more ideas about how to support your child in the meantime.

We have produced an EHCP Process Map which shows the different steps of the EHCP process and the timescales in which they should happen.

EHCPs have the same protection in law as the previous Statements of SEN. If your child has one of these plans you will also have the right to ask for a personal budget for their support.

If your request for an assessment is refused

If after a needs assessment request, we decide not to complete an assessment, we must inform you within six weeks of the request.

If we decide, following a needs assessment, not to issue an EHCP, we must inform you within 16 weeks of the request for an assessment.

Children without an EHCP will typically be educated in a mainstream nursery, school or college. The educational setting may have funding allocated to them to support children and young people with SEND.

What do I do if I disagree with a decision?

If you are not happy with the decision to either refuse a request for an EHC Needs Assessment or the decision not to issue an EHCP after a needs assessment has been carried out, you can find out more about the different steps on our webpage about disagreeing with an EHCP decision.