You must ensure that the person who you are obtaining consent from is fully informed of what they are consenting to and the consequences of any disclosure or non-disclosure. You should always record whether an individual has consented to a disclosure.
- Identify who you are and where you work (unless this is obvious)
- Explain to the individual using language appropriate to them, what you are requesting their consent for
- Explain what information you would like to share, to whom and your reasons for sharing it
- Explain to the individual what will happen to their information if they give consent and what could happen if they don’t or if they wish to restrict consent in any way
- Inform the individual that they may withdraw consent at any time
- Record whether consent has been given and the date.