Skip to content

Please Note: You are currtently viewing the development site (beta).
Please go to for the current live and active version.

Factsheet: Dropped kerbs and vehicle crossings


Before you apply
Read our checklist of 10 things you need to check before applying.


How do I apply?
Email or phone 0345 155 1004.

We will call you back within 20 working days to do an initial phone assessment, and provide advice on whether or not to proceed. If we believe you need planning permission, we will refer you to the Local Planning Authority.

Stage 1 Location approval If you proceed we will pass your details to the local highway officer who will visit the proposed site. If the officer approves the site you will need to pay £300 for the licence to be granted. This fee contributes towards our costs in processing the applications and inspections. If the location is rejected you will not be charged. We will give you a list of conditions and specifications that your contractor will need to conform to.

Stage 2 Construction approval Your contractor will need to provide evidence of accreditation to work on the highway and Public Liability Insurance, dates for the work to take place and Traffic Management arrangements. They will need to provide at least 10 working days notice before the start of the work. Once all the requirements have been met we will issue the licence. You must not start the work until you have the licence for the construction stage.
How do I select a contractor?
Work must be done by a contractor who is suitably qualified to work on the highway and adequately insured. You need to check that they:

  • are covered for Public Liability Insurance to the sum of £5 million
  • have staff trained to work on the highway – a supervisor and an operator who are Chapter 8 qualified.
    We will ask the contractor to provide evidence of these.


What does my contractor need to do?

  • You, or your contractor, must contact us requesting permission to carry out the work. We will establish if they meet all of the above criteria before issuing the licence.
  • Your contractor must check whether there are any utility apparatus (pipes, covers, chambers) in the work area. If utility apparatus is present, your contractor will need to liaise with the utility companies for any alterations needed to their apparatus. You will have to pay for these changes. The utility company can insist that their own contractor does the works to their apparatus, so you will need to allow sufficient time for them to organise the work.
  • The contractor must build the crossing in accordance with the specification and conditions set out in the approval document we will send to you.

When do I need to get the work completed?
Work must be completed within six months of the date of the location approval document. This is because the situation may change, for instance new parking restrictions, utility apparatus or street furniture may be installed.


What happens if I don’t get the work completed in time?
If you still wish to go ahead, you will need to reapply and pay the fees again.


What are my ongoing responsibilities?
You are liable for the work undertaken by your contractor during the work and for a maintenance period of two years following completion. If we inspect the area within this time and find the standard to be inadequate, we will make good and recharge you for the costs incurred.

Vehicle crossing comprise part of the public highway. We may decide to take a core sample to check that construction complies with the specification. This will make a hole in the surface, which will be back-filled with material. If the construction is found to be non-compliant we may initiate enforcement procedures.

You must ensure vehicles parked on your driveway do not obstruct the footway or verge.