Skip to content

Please Note: You are currtently viewing the development site (beta).
Please go to for the current live and active version.

Factsheet: Temporary Traffic Orders for events

no posts


You can apply for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) if restrictions are needed to:

  • allow an event to be held
  • enable members of the public to watch the event
  • reduce the disruption to traffic likely to be caused by the event.

If your event involves closing roads, making roads one-way or suspending parking you must apply for a TTRO at least three months in advance.


Event costs table

If you need ‘no waiting’ cones there may be an additional cost.

A charitable or community event is:

  • an event organised by a registered charity where all proceeds from the event go to that charity
  • an event organised by a local community or group which is not a registered charity where all proceeds go to a charity or the local community.



How to apply
Fill in the application and send it, along with a cheque for payment and supporting materials to:

Devon County Council
Highway Management
PO Box 494
Newton Abbot
TQ12 9GL

If you need further information, email or phone 0345 155 1004.


Registering your event
If no restrictions are needed you still need to register your event at least three months before it takes place. We recommend involving us as soon as possible so we can make sure a suitable traffic management plan is prepared.

Write to:
Devon County Council
Highway Management
PO Box 494
Newton Abbot, TQ12 9GL

Email or phone 0345 155 1004


Contact your local district council licensing department to check whether you need additional permissions or licences for preparing and selling food, selling alcohol, markets or street selling.


You can get more information and guidance about running events from the Home Office and the Health and Safety Executive.