We carry out regular highway safety inspections: roads, footways and cycleways are inspected according to their strategic importance.
Our Highway Safety Inspection Manual sets out the policy on how defects that may create a danger or serious inconvenience to highway users are dealt with through a risk based approach.
Using a risk assessment matrix, defects that meet a set intervention criteria are assessed to determine the degree of risk they may pose to a highway user and what is an appropriate and reasonable response.
The principle purpose of a Highway Safety Inspection is:
– To identify defects that are likely to create a danger or serious inconvenience to highway users or the wider community
– To determine the degree and timing of repairs
– To provide condition data of the network to the Asset Management Team assisting in the management of the highway network and future maintenance programmes
– To meet the statutory obligation of Devon County Council to maintain the highway in a safe condition
– To provide a defence against highway claims
To find out when a street is due to be inspected click here.