Anvil Corner Recycling Centre
- Opening times and general information
- Acceptable materials
- Restricted and non-acceptable materials
- Chargeable waste
- Site health and safety
- Site user and vehicle restrictions
Opening times and general information
Summer (Apr to Sep) Winter (Oct to Mar) Friday and Monday 9:00am to 5:00pm 9:00am to 4:30pm Saturday and Sunday 10:00am to 6:00pm 10:00am to 4:30pm
Anvil Corner Recycling Centre
0345 155 1010
From Holsworthy: take the A3072 towards Hatherleigh, the site is approximately two and a half miles from Holsworthy on the right.
From Halwill junction: take the A3079 towards Holsworthy. At the T junction with the A3072 turn left to Holsworthy. The site is approximately three miles along this road on the left.
Open all year round (except Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day).
Please ensure that your waste is separated before arriving at the site.
- Aluminium and steel cans (including empty steel paint cans).
- Bulky/rigid plastics.
- Card/Yellow Pages (cards, wrapping paper or any paper containing glitter must not go in the paper bank).
- Car batteries (alternatively, these can be taken to a scrap metal merchant who may pay you for your battery).
- Clean mixed plastic packaging, for example, food trays and yoghurt pots (must be washed).
- DIY engine oil.
- Domestic batteries.
- Drinks cartons/Tetra-paks.
- Energy saving light bulbs (recycled with fluorescent tubes).
- Flat glass.
- Fluorescent tubes: up to 5 in any 6 month period.
- Foil (clean aluminium foil only).
- Fridges/freezers (Commercial fridges/freezers/air conditioning units are not accepted as well as units from caravans/motorhomes/boats).
- Garden/green waste (branches up to 250mm or 10 inches in diameter are accepted).
- Glass bottles and jars.
- Large domestic appliances, for example, cookers, microwaves, washing machines.
- Metal (including empty aerosol cans).
- Newspapers and magazines.
- Paint (please double wrap each tin in plastic bags and hand to the site operator).
- Petrol powered lawn mowers and strimmers (must be emptied of fuel).
- Plastic bottles.
- Small domestic appliances, for example, toasters, lawn mowers, hairdryers, computers and laptops (please ensure all personal data is deleted).
- TVs/computer monitors.
- Vegetable oil.
Restricted and non-acceptable materials
- DIY waste: 0.5 tonnes in a 6 month period (limit excludes chargeable waste).
- Household chemicals (pesticides, white spirit, bleach, oil-based paint): 5 litres in 12 months.
- Gas bottles.
- Fluorescent tubes: 5 in 6 month period.
- Ash (must be cooled and well damped down).
- Noxious weeds.
- NHS equipment.
- Certain types of hazardous waste, including items such as DIY engine oils, solvents, bleaches/chemicals and asbestos are accepted in restricted quantities.
- Business and commercial waste. Commercial green waste and cardboard is acceptable at certain sites for a charge, by arrangement only. Find out more about the trade recycling scheme here.
- Excess non-recyclable waste is not acceptable at this site. Your nearest alternative is Deep Moor Recycling Centre, Torrington by arrangement only. Please contact your local district, city or borough council in the first instance.
- Commercial fridges/freezers/air conditioning units are not accepted as well as units from caravans/motorhomes/boats.
- Sharps/clinical items: please contact your local district, city or borough council.
- Asbestos: chargeable at certain recycling centres (Facilities available at Bideford, Exeter (Exton Road and Pinbrook Road), Honiton, Kingsbridge, Newton Abbot, Okehampton, Tavistock, Tiverton and Torrington)
- Night storage heaters – only acceptable at recycling centres which accept asbestos, the unit must be double wrapped in tough plastic and sealed. Sites will only accept full appliances.
- Fireworks (spent/unspent) – contact the manufacturer for disposal advice.
- Flares, explosives and ammunition – please contact your local coastguard (flares) or police station (explosives/ammunition) for disposal advice.
- Oil tanks/Heating oil tanks – please see a list of alternative service providers.
- Sewage/contents of drains.
- Vehicles, vehicle parts, boats, caravans, trailers.
- Dead pets, pet faeces and soiled litter/bedding material. Your local vet will be able to help you with the cremation of dead pets and you may wish to consider a home composting facility for pet faeces or soiled bedding.
- Sanitary wastes (nappies, sanitary towels).
- Railway sleepers/Utility poles.
- Ground/Air source heat pumps.
Further information about chargeable waste.
Site health and safety
Waste loading/skip changes may result in this site (or part of the site) being closed for short periods throughout the day. For your own safety, please remain in your vehicle until the loading/skip exchange is completed.
Site staff will aim to provide assistance when reasonable but are unable to lift excessively heavy and/or awkward loads. If an item requires 2 or more people to load into a vehicle then it is expected that the same amount of people arrive to unload the vehicle on site.
Further information about site health and safety.
Site user and vehicle restrictions
Further information about site user and vehicle restrictions.