Before you start work

If you’d like to complete health and social care training before looking for a job, there are a range of relevant courses to choose from. They are all coordinated by colleges and universities across Devon.

Apprenticeship and training programmes

  • Exeter College: Offer apprenticeship and training programmes in health and social care from level 1 to degree level 6.
  • The Care Academy (Petroc College): Has campuses in Tiverton and Barnstaple offering health and social care courses from level 2 to degree level 6. It provides student with real-life work placements alongside their studies.
  • Medics Academy: The route for A Level students wanting to pursue a medical career.
  • Scott College: As a specialist medicine, social and health care state school, the college offers work experience linked directly to employment opportunities in Plymouth. The college is designed for 13 to 19-year-olds.
  • South Devon College (Paignton): Offers health and social care courses from level 1 to degree level 6, with full and part-time options, including vocational work placements.

Entry to degree level courses

City College Plymouth offers health and social care courses from entry to degree level. You can gain work experience and placement opportunities, choose from full and part-time study and fit the course around your lifestyle.

Undergraduate, postgraduate and research degrees

The University of Exeter’s Academy of Nursing offers undergraduate, postgraduate and research degrees.

The University of Plymouth offers health and social care undergraduate degree programmes including nursing, social work and physiotherapy. To search all programmes, visit the courses and study pages.

Operating Department Practice

A two-year Diploma programme, delivered with the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, prepares you for work as an Operating Department Practitioner. This is a vital part of the operating theatre team, with a different challenge every day. Find more information on the course website.

For all degree programmes, visit UCAS.

While you work

If you already work in care and health and would like to know what qualification would be right for you or your area of work, visit Skills for Care and Health Education England.