Local Development Scheme
The Local Development Scheme sets out the timetable for preparing and adopting the Greater Exeter Strategic Plan. Local Development Scheme documents were agreed by the partner Council committees between May and July 2018 and have effect until further notice.
The Greater Exeter Strategic Plan timetable:
– February 2017 – Issues consultation
– June 2019 – Consultation on draft plan
– September 2020 – Publication (Proposed Submission)
– March 2021 – Submission
– May 2021 – Inspector’s Hearings
– December 2021 – Adoption
The Local Development Schemes were updated in 2018 due to the plan being held up by a number of factors, the main ones being;
- Significant and ongoing review of national planning and housing policies, commencing with the Housing White Paper and most recently involving a draft revised National Planning Policy Framework and
associated Practice Guidance. These documents include amendments to the five year supply approach, a new housing “delivery test” and changes to the way housing need is calculated.
- A very high response to the “call for sites” with over 700 sites made available, which needed to be assessed and considered via the HELAA (Housing and Employment Land Availability Assessment) process.
- The need to resolve complex transport issues associated with the plan, particularly in the Exeter area, including extensive modelling, roadside interviews and scheme assessment. This work is still ongoing and will inform a key element of the Greater Exeter Strategic Plan strategy.