Report safety and welfare concerns

This flowchart provides guidance on how to report concerns over someone’s safety and welfare.

Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility. You must take action if you have any concerns about someone’s safety or welfare. Through following the steps below you can prevent someone from being exploited and help them to access support and protection.


Is someone in immediate danger?

If someone is in immediate danger contact the emergency services on 999

Guidance to help you decide if someone is in immediate danger

If someone is not in immediate danger please follow the steps below

Are you concerned that someone is being radicalised?

If you are concerned that someone is being radicalised you will need to contact the police

Guidance for contacting the police about radicalisation concerns

If you are not concerned that someone is being radicalised please follow the steps below

Consider making a safeguarding referral

The steps below apply to people who are at risk of harm, or who have been harmed, within the geographical boundaries of Devon County Council.

Find out what to do if someone is at risk of harm, or has been harmed, within the boundaries of another local authority.

If you are concerned about a child (aged under 18) If you are concerned about an adult (aged 18 and over)

Consider which parts of this threshold tool best reflect their needs Consider if they meet the legal threshold for referral

Mostly level 1-2 needs

Requires Early Help Support

Visit the Early Help website for further information


Mostly level 3-4 needs

Contact 0345 155 1071 for a MASH consultation

If appropriate complete MASH referral form

Guidance and access to referral form

Requires referral into Devon Adult’s Services Safeguarding Hub.

Please complete a referral form

Alternatively contact Care Direct on 0345 155 007


If your concerns relate to child sexual exploitation you may also need to make a MACSE submission

Guidance and support with making a MACSE submission

Once you have made a safeguarding referral (or have decided that it is not appropriate to do so) please submit an information report to the police.

This will allow you to share information (including information about other victims and suspected perpetrators) that you would not include in a safeguarding referral.