Engaging Devon – Strategy
6. What are we trying to achieve now?
Our engagement activity will help us to:
- be more open and answerable
- focus on communities – groups of people interested in the same issue or who live in the same place or both
- build strong ties with local communities and organisations
- make quality decisions, informed by engagement
- continue to develop services.
Engaging with groups and communities will enable them to participate in decision-making and to have more influence, choice and control over the way in which local services are shaped and delivered.
By engaging with the people of Devon we will find out more about the services they want and need. We will make sure services are delivered within the funding available, offering best value for money while keeping council tax low. We will make improvements when right to do so and when funds allow, joining up services to meet need and improve matters. We aim to continue to improve people’s lives and make Devon a better place by protecting the most vulnerable, and encouraging enterprise.
Engaging with all the people of Devon, taking into account equalities and considering those communities that are harder to engage will be key to putting our Strategic Plan into action.
We will engage on:
- helping communities to help themselves
- Council decisions, services and performance
- saving money and managing the impact of spending reductions on services that matter most, allowing us to be the voice of Devon and its people when working with central Government
- changing the way services are provided.
Next > 7. How will we achieve this?