We are ambitious for all our children and young people and have high expectations of our schools, colleges, settings and partnership support services.
We want all children in Devon to have the best start in life and, as they grow into young adults, to have access to opportunities for training, education, employment and apprenticeships to help them gain the skills they need to become independent and thrive.
We have a strong focus on disadvantage and want to help everyone to access their right to an education, be included and achieve their full potential.
Our priorities to 2023 are:
A good education for all
- Work together with schools, colleges and others to raise overall educational outcomes and to narrow the attainment gap for boys and disadvantaged pupils
- Maintain our focus on inclusion and ensuring all children get their right to a full education
- Continue to develop local opportunities for training, education, employment and apprenticeships with particular support for young people with additional needs or from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Championing All Our Children. [LINK]
Better support for children in care and care leavers
We want all our children in care and those leaving care to be set up for life to aspire and achieve.We will do what it takes to keep children in care in good, local, family based placements so that their education, friendships and community connections can be sustained.
Improving our Special Educational Needs (SEND) offer
We will have a major review and redesign in order to:
- Improve access to advice, support and guidance
- Ensure lead practitioners help families navigate the system and remove barriers
- Ensure everyone that needs one gets a timely and comprehensive Education Health and Care Plan
- Improve the multi-agency response to Autistic Spectrum Conditions
- Integrate services and wrap support around children and families
- Ensure more support to improve the transition into adulthood