Skip to content

Additional needs

Support in school

Most children with special education needs and disability (SEND) can be supported to access their local mainstream school, college or early years setting.

All schools or settings must:

  • make reasonable adjustments for disabled children
  • prevent discrimination and promote equality
  • support pupils with medical conditions

Additional support in school

A child or young person with SEND will receive special educational provision, which means they get additional support at school.

Their school will:

  • identify that they have SEND and develop a plan for additional support
  • inform their parents or carers about the assessment and additional provision
  • ensure they are getting the support they need to engage in the same activities as their peers
  • regularly review progress with the family

To do this the their school will use ‘the graduated response’ – a four stage cycle that helps the school learn more about the pupil and what helps them make good progress.

It has four parts:

  • Assess – the school assesses the child’s needs. They listen to the views of the child and their parents or carers. They also ask advice from other specialist support services if needed.
  • Plan – the teacher and special educational needs coordinator (SENCo) plan how to support the child. They consider what outcomes they want to achieve. They involve the child and their parents or carers and agree a review date.
  • Do – The SENCO helps the class teacher support the child. They think about the child’s strengths and weaknesses and how best to help them. The teacher also works with the teaching assistants and specialist staff involved. They assess how helpful the support is.
  • Review – everyone discusses how effective the support has been, and the school adapts the support depending on the child’s progress. The child’s views and those of their parents or carers are an important part of the review process. If the child isn’t making good progress the school should involve a specialist and discuss this with the parents or carers.

If you are concerned that a child is being abused please call

0345 155 1071

or email

If it’s an emergency call 999

website feedbackX

Give us your feedback


Welcome to beta.devon, a development environment for all of our web sites and an example of how our information and services are presented.

PLEASE BE AWARE - this is a test website. It may contain inaccuracies or be misleading. remains the official website for county council information and services.

Your suggestions will help us make this site better, so if you have any comments please leave us feedback.

N.B. This site uses 'cookies' and Google Analytics. Closing this page sets a cookie so you don't see it again. There's more information on cookies at