Skip to content

Training and resources

Child sex offender scheme

The child sex offender disclosure scheme (Sarah’s Law) allows those who are worried about someone that has contact with a child they know to ask police if the person has a record for child sexual offences.

The aim of this scheme is to keep children safer.

More information about the scheme including downloadable leaflets is available on the Home Office website.

How to ask for a check

To make an application, you will need to visit your local police station in person. At the police station, you will need to:

  • show some ID, for example your passport or driving licence
  • tell the police what your relationship to the child is
  • say why you want to have this particular person checked

If you think a child is in immediate danger, always call the police on 999.

If you are concerned that a child is being abused please call

0345 155 1071

or email

If it’s an emergency call 999


Welcome to beta.devon, a development environment for all of our web sites and an example of how our information and services are presented.

PLEASE BE AWARE - this is a test website. It may contain inaccuracies or be misleading. remains the official website for county council information and services.

Your suggestions will help us make this site better, so if you have any comments please leave us feedback.

N.B. This site uses 'cookies' and Google Analytics. Closing this page sets a cookie so you don't see it again. There's more information on cookies at